Tuesday, August 7, 2007

How do you say thanks?

It's going to snow tonight. Not just a flake or two, but inches.

That doesn't seem strange if you're living in a country where snow is something you see every single winter. But if you're living in a city that hasn't seen snow since June 1968, it sure is going to be something extraordinary!

Why do I say this? Because today is the first day in almost 6 years that I made a doctor's appointment and went. Should tell you something about how sick I felt huh? But before I go on, let me just add this disclaimer: I'm not trying to win your sympathy - that would just make me run away. I drank my medicine and I'm better now. My brain doesn't want to burst out my eyes anymore when I cough and my teeth aren't being pounded into my jaws either. The two little men with super sharp needles who took turns to prick my inner ears all the way into the center part of my brain has also disappeared.

Visiting the doctor is NOT my favorite thing in this world. Most of you who have been through the mill of IF or any other condition that requires lots and lots of doctor appointments will understand my adversity to them. I don't hate doctors, but I certainly don't like visiting them either. You buy over the counter medicine, use it for a week or 7 days and after the 2nd day in bed you're OK again. It always worked in the past for me, just not this time.

Long story short, I have major inflammation in my ears, sinuses and throat. The 2nd time the doc told me to say "Aaaahh" she actually said: "Oh my". It's NOT what you want your doctor to say. She should just say that it's not so bad and that the first dose of medicine will make you want to feel like dancing again.

I'm almost dancing, because something wonderful happened today.

Lady Macleod, if the above doesn't convince you that I have a perfectly watertight alibi for not reading your blog yesterday, I give up! But I'll try my utmost best to be ready for any future happenings, promise.

This is the award Lady M gave me:


Dear Lady M, thank you SO MUCH! This means a whole bunch and more to me. :) Please take a minute or so to read what she said about this award on her blog, and visit Pamela Jeanne who received the same award too (Congrats PJ!)

I still have that feeling of wanting to turn around, thinking it's someone behind me you're talking to. I don't feel courageous, but it is so special being thought of as someone with courage. This blog of mine got started as a venting place, somewhere to sort out my mixed up feelings about ending up in an empty place, so different from what I envisioned my life to be.

Through your encouragement and motivation, and that of all the warm and wonderful friends I've made through a blog I never thought would live longer than a month or two, I've discovered that the "empty place" is not so empty after all. It's filled with warmth and love and caring and not a single ounce of it is in the least virtual!

You guys rock!!

***UPDATE****
Feeling a lot better, thanks to all your well-wishes - it helped get rid of those ugly lil' men inside my ears and the rest of the malaise too. :)

11 comments:

Dr. Grumbles said...

I hope you feel better!

We get snow in New Orleans maybe once every 10 years or so, and it always seems so amazing. I imagine it must seem extra amazing in South Africa.

AwkwardMoments said...

Snow?? WHats that??? I live in Florida, if it snows here, I think that is much like Hell freezing over! I hope you feel better soon

AwkwardMoments said...

Oh and forgot congrats on the Blogger award!!!

Pamela T. said...

Congrats back right back at you! I was as blown away as you were to read Lacy Macleod's post. How wonderful to get such a heartfelt recognition.

And how coincidental is this -- I just wrapped up 12 days of antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection! Hope you're on the mend and feeling better very soon.

Changing Expectations said...

I am glad that you are feeling better.

Enjoy the snow!

Joy said...

Ugh. being sick SUCKS. I had strep throat a few weeks ago and was ready to roll over and die.

I wish you could send us some snow. It's the hottest week of the summer here. Around 100 f. (Do you use Celcius there? That's ~38C.)
MISERABLE.

Sarah said...

how awful, i hope you're feeling better soon. congrats ont he award, you deserve it!

Furrow said...

Congratulations on your Richly Deserved award! I hope it helps speed you toward health. That and the balm-like powers of snow. Ah, snow. I'd give up the raucous blooms in my garden which the goldfinches so enjoy for a little icy precipitation. It's over 100 degrees here today.

Schatzi said...

I HATE it when those little men use pick axes at my inner ear!:) Sorry to hear you have been so sick, but glad to hear you are on the mend.

And congratulations on your award. Much, much deserved!

KarenO said...

You guys are so amazing: thanks for your comments and congratulations! And yes, I'm doing better too... and no, it hasn't snowed here yet... *giggle*

lady macleod said...

Oh bless your heart, I'm so pleased to hear you are better. You are entirely welcome for the award, I meant every word. I am too happy that the "empty place" is filling up! That's due to YOUR COURAGE you know, for going out and MAKING IT HAPPEN.

Please take very good care of yourself.